deadline: November 9, 2021
Applications are open for the WHO online course on violence prevention 2021. Despite its scale and impact, violence against children is rarely covered in the media outside of one-off stories around specific incidents. Little attention is given to its direct impacts on families and children, much less, its toll on socioeconomic development and public health.
Violence prevention efforts, which require societal and political buy-in, also receive little coverage. Journalists thus play a key role in amplifying violence prevention issues that garner the attention of the public and policymakers.
In partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO), the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) is conducting the violence prevention reporting program to :
- prepare and promote a media guide on violence prevention reporting
- implement a two-week online course for 60 global participants, covering critical issue in violence prevention and successful initiatives
- organize six regional webinars, each targeting approximately 20 participants from WHO target regions and countries.
- support journalists from target countries in producing high-quality, engaging stories that highlight solutions for violence against children.
ICJF is now accepting applications for the online course on violence prevention. The two-week online course will take place in december 2021 and is designed to enable journalist around the world to strengthen their reporting on issues related to violence against children and effective interventions. Topics covered will include:
- child violence in the news
- why the voice of the child is newsworthy
- experiences of journalists reporting on child violence hooks for child welfare stories
- child welfare reporting tips
- carrying out interviews with children and their networks
- resources for reporting on child violence
- open to journalist around the world
- Applicants should be interested in issues related to violence against children and effective interventions.
the deadline for applicants is friday, November 19, 11:59 EST. Feel free to contact Sher Khashimov at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.